Friday 10 February 2012

iMPACT, Feb 9th, 2012

It turns out that the Blogger android app is a piece of shit, so I'm going to be using Twitter for my 'wrestling fan yelling at the TV' stuff, but I will make an effort to recap the shows here.

The show started out pretty well, Daniels and AJ was a pretty good way to start the show. The Kaz situation is a little silly, TNA seems to have a fondness for 'Oh, what is this big mystery all about? Find out in 3 months after we're done drip-feeding you enough information that you don't forget about it, but not enough that you actually care' storylines (Winter/Angelina, Garrett's trainer, etc.) but I don't think the fans really care. I certainly don't, all I know is AJ is being kept away from the title picture by a feud with Daniels again. I don't care what Kaz's deal is. I just want it over so we can see a storyline that actually matters.

Magnus gave a really good promo, better than anything I've seen him do before on TV (he did a great one in Dublin, but live is live and TV is TV), I really hope him and Joe get the belts at the PPV. I'm not sure they will though, TNA have made a rod for their own back with Crimson - they can't give him the belt because nobody gives a shit about him, and he can't be beaten because all he has going for him is his winning streak...so what do you do? Give him a belt that nobody cares about and forget about him, and hope people start to take notice. Problem is, they've lumbered him with Morgan who has also failed to win over the fans even after being with the company for several years. If they'd brought back Amazing Red to team with Crimson it would have been a different story, but it doesn't seem Morgan can get the job done.

Then we had Aries v Shelley v Doug in a great 3-way. It's good to see Doug back, he's one of the best in TNA. I don't really care who wins at the PPV, I'd prefer Aries but the X-Division is a shadow of its former self. It's still good, but it used to be amazing and groundbreaking...I'd love to see it come back to prominence again.

The second half of the show was pretty much what you'd expect from TNA, too much Hogan/Bischoff, too much talking, a screwjob in the main event. Velvet got a clean win over Mickie though, which I didn't see coming...although, since Kharma returned to WWE at the Rumble, the only womens wrestling I really want to see is her actual comeback.

I'd give my predictions for Against All Odds, but I can honestly only remember 2 or 3 matches so there's no point. Too much screen time for Hogan/Bischoff, not enough time building up matches. TNA in a nutshell.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I was there, live. They edited in a lot of cheers for Garrett. What's funny is that in Hogan/Bischoff bits in the show, people were sitting on their hands, going to the bar, or just not caring. The place was dead during these segments.

Huls said...

Yeah, when you watch the show you can see the people in the background are bored and not making any noise, but you can hear loads of cheering... they've been doing it for ages. Nice to know they just dub it in for TV instead of piping it over the speakers though I guess. Still pretty scummy.

Please tell me the reaction to Magnus was real, he did great this week.

Unknown said...

oh yeah, Magnus came across like a star. It was only the Hogan stuff that was different.